April "Move of the Month" - Leg Crossover Stretch
Happy Spring Paddling . . .
Every month on the Level Six blog, I share an exercise, stretch or activity that is beneficial to paddlers of any level and craft. Here are past posts since January 2015:
* Turkish Get-ups - A great way to work total body strength
This month I want to share a stretch with you that has helped some hip issues I've been dealing with from a kayaking injury (over 2 years ago) - the Leg Crossover Stretch.
This stretch opens up tight hips and IT bands.
* Lie flat on the floor with arms out forming a "T"
* Bring your leg across your body, keeping it straight.
* Manipulate your position to get the deepest, most intense stretch
* Look over the shoulder opposite your twist.
Remember: Hold stretches for at LEAST 30 seconds. If you hold a stretch any less then 20 seconds, your body doesn't remember it's lengthened state (so it really does you no good). I recommend holding stretches for at least 1-2 minutes.
Check out my "favorite stretching routine" on my fitness blog. And, enjoy.